Here you’ll find answers to some of our most frequently asked questions, as well as some hits and tips to make your campervan or motorhome adventure run more smoothly especially if it’s your first time with us.  We’re always here to help – if there’s anything else you want to know just e-mail or give us a call. 


We’re nearby, can we check out your campervans before we hire?
Absolutely!  We’re always happy to show you around.  Just call beforehand so that we can make sure the vehicle you’re interested in is available
Does the van need refuelling before I return it?

All our vans must be returned with a full tank of fuel. There is a refuelling station 500 meters from our premises away here.

Can dogs come too?

We’ll do our best to accommodate well behaved dogs in our pet-friendly campervans, so please check at the time of booking if one is available.  It’s a maximum of two small (think Pug) sized pooches or one larger Labrador pooch per camper.  There is an additional deep cleaning charge payable on booking.

Can we leave our car with you?

Of course! We have secure on-site parking with CCTV for one car per campervan hire.  Please note that parking is solely at your own risk.

What is Included?
  • Comprehensive Insurance
  • AA breakdown cover
  • Unlimited mileage
  • Mains hook up cable
  • Sheets for the mattresses
  • A full gas bottle
  • Outside table and chairs
  • Crockery, cutlery and cooking implements for a family of four
  • Whistling kettle
  • Frying pan and saucepans
  • Colander, cheese grater, scissors, bottle opener, chopping board
  • Washing up bowl, liquid and tea towels
  • Cleaning equipment including fire extinguisher, fire blanket and first aid kit
  • Levelling ramps

We also have a “lending library” of various items of camping equipment and board games that can be borrowed for free.

What should I pack?

You’ll only need to bring your own towels, bedding (including pillows and duvets or sleeping bags), clothes and food.  We’ll provide you with our suggested packing list when you book.

Do I need a special licence to drive campervans?

Our campervans are under 3,500 kgs and can be driven on a Category B Licence.

Are there any driver requirements?

For insurance purposes drivers need to be between 25 and 75 years old, and have no current traffic endorsements except minor ones.  If in doubt, please check with us before booking. You also need to have held a full driving licence for three years or more.

What documents do I need to bring?

We need to see originals of the following documents before you can drive our vehicles.  Please note we can’t release a vehicle without seeing these, so it is important you bring them with you.  Don’t worry, we will send you a reminder before you set off for collection!

  • Your photocard driving licence with your current address on it
  • Two Original copies of Proof of address / ID from the following list which must be less than three months old and match the address on your licence: 
    • Utility bill (please note not a mobile phone bill)
    • Credit card statement
    • Bank statement
    • Council Tax bill
    • HMRC self assessment tax bill

We’ll need to see the same for any additional drivers

Can we have additional drivers?

Yes, we allow one additional driver per vehicle at a cost of £5 per day.

I'm new to campervans - will you show me how it works?

We’ll always make sure that we give you a comprehensive handover and show you how all the vehicle’s features operate.  If you forget, that’s not an issue, we’re always just a phone call away or you can use our handy videos.

Are the vehicles fully insured?

Yes, all of the vehicles are comprehensively insured.  As with any insurance policy, there are policy excesses and special conditions.  In addition, the hirer is responsible for replacement or repairs to windscreens and tyre of allow wheel damage.

What happens if we break down?

All of our vehicles are less than two years old, so you are unlikely to break down.  In the unlikely event that this happens, they all come with AA cover as standard.  If the vehicle can’t be fixed it will be recovered back to our location and if we don’t have any replacement vehicles available, we’ll reimburse you for the lost days on a pro-rata basis.  Please note we cannot be held responsible for any fees such as campsite bookings – we strongly advise that you take out holiday insurance to cover these costs.

What happens if we have an accident?

Firstly, please make sure that everyone involved is safe.  You must also comply with the Road Traffic Act 1988 Section 170.  You’ll then need to:

  • Obtain the names and addresses of anyone involved and third parties and any witnesses
  • Please do not accept blame or insist that the other party is at fault
  • Photograph all damage to vehicles (along with their number plates) as well as photographs of the location of the accident
  • Call us on 07711900746
How much is the security deposit and how does it work?

The security deposit is £1,000 and needs to be paid by bank transfer before the vehicle is taken. It can be paid by credit or debit card, but please be aware that there is a £20 non refundable charge to cover card processing fees. We are not currently able to tale card impressions but it is something we are looking to implement. Your deposit will be returned to you once the vehicle (and any extras you have hired) are returned to us and the vehicle checked back in. For deposits held by us, we aim to return them at the time the vehicle is returned to us (less the cost of any damage to the vehicle, it’s contents or ant extra equipment you have hired from us), but please allow up to 24 hours. Payments refunded to credit or debit cards can take up to 7 days to appear on your statement.

We highly recommend that you take out an excess hire insurance policy to protect your security deposit through a company such as www.icarhireinsurance.comPLEASE NOTE:  If you do take out this insurance you will need to select an annual policy (not single trip as this will not cover campervans) and then select as an extra campervan and motorhome cover.  An annual policy costs approximately £76.  
What happens if we damage the vehicle or break something?

Unfortunately any damage will have to be paid for from the security deposit.  Any costs we charge will be fair and reasonable and where possible be assessed using the the BVLA Fair Wear and Tear guide.  Any breakages must be paid for in full, this includes fire extinguishers and fire blankets.

Can we smoke?

Sorry but smoking (including vaping) is strictly prohibited.  There is a minimum £250 charge if the vehicle is returned smelling of smoke.

When can I collect the vehicle? When does it need to be returned?

Vehicles are usually available by 2.00 pm on the day of hire – please allow 45 minutes for handover.  If you need the vehicle earlier please let us know in advance and we will do what we can.

Vehicles need to be returned by 10.00 am on the last day of hire and we reserve the right to charge £25 per half hour late return fee.  This is because of the knock-on effect on subsequent hirers.  If you are going to be late, please let us know as soon as possible.

Can I Leave my Car?

You can leave your car at our showroom for the duration of your holiday where there is CCTV and ample parking.

California Campers
California Campers
20 Google reviews